Wednesday 26 February 2014

A day in the life of?

Yes, I know what your saying, he's going to say sorry again for being so long in producing this next Blog. 
Sorry.

When I produced the last Blog in December, I was so sure that 2014 would bring a regular monthly update, obviously I failed.........

A day in the life of?
Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day have all gone and what a fantastic time we had. Plenty to drink and eat, perhaps too much at times. It was tinged with sadness when remembering family we now don't see so often, a bit upset when things didn't go as well as we wanted, but we really did have a very good time, "went well" (as we say in Stoke on Trent). Thank you to everyone.

One day: I read in the paper that drinking beer is dangerous, so after today, I'm not reading anymore!


A day in the life of?
Australia Day was celebrated in January and we decided to go and watch the annual firework display in Perth. Sitting aside the Swan River, we watched the air display featuring many types of planes and helicopters before the start of the fireworks. A really good show.




One day: I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'this could be interesting'

A day in the life of?
We usually go to bed around 10pm in the week and I switch on the TV, mainly so I can't hear Sue snoring, when this particular day we had a phone call. Sue's dad rang to say he was making arrangements to visit us in Australia, more details later, he said. 'Keithybabe' rang a week later and he will be here for 3 weeks in April, really excited about seeing him and giving him a glimpse of our life in Perth.

One day: Two communists were sitting on a porch of a nudist colony. One says, "have you read Marx?" The other says, "yes, I think it's these wicker chairs".


A day in the life of?
There are so many ways of keeping in touch with family in this technical era and I use most of them daily to find out what is happening here as well as back in England. Emails, phones, text messages, social media sites, etc. give so much information about your family and friends. Blogs are another way of keeping in touch, passing on as well as finding out who, what and where. I follow my sister Carol's Blog, Wide Beam - Still Rockin'  daily as Carol and her husband George are having a wide beam boat built to replace their narrow boat that they have lived on since 2008. A new home for new adventures.

One day: A dyslexic man walks into a bra.


A day in the life of?
Sue got home a little late this day so we decided to just have a snack night rather than cooking a meal. Just as I was going to have my cheese on toast, my mobile phone rang. I have two ring tones, if it's Sue ringing then it is 'Jupiter' (from Holst 'The Planets Suite') but for general calls the tone is Delilah (a true Stokie). At this stage Rachel, my daughter-in-law would now be saying, "Stop waffling Garry".

So I had this phone call...... "Hi grandad". It was Joe, my 13 year old grandson who lives in Stoke with his mum Joanne, Neil and my other grandson Izac. He was just eating an Oatcake with cheese on and then he was off to town with his mates. It was a fantastic 15 minutes conversation, he sounded so grown up. Although it was the start of his day (8 hours difference), it finished my day off with a really good feeling.
The one thing about grandchildren, they take you for who you are rather than who they think you should be.

One day: There was this cross eyed teacher who couldn't control his pupils.


A day in the life of?
I mentioned previously about social media sites and the way they can keep you up to date with events. Lately, my Nickisson Family Tree research has been put on the back burner as the weather is too nice to be stuck on the computer. It is surprising though, how many times that relevant family information is updated especially by way of Facebook. Birthdays are mentioned, Wedding Anniversaries come and go and the occasional sad news that someone has died. Many events in the family tree just show the year of the event due to documentation found on genealogy sites. Information from Facebook etc. can update it to include the day and month, more proof of the occasion.

One day: An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman asks, "Is this a joke?"


A day in the life of?
For the last four/five weeks the temperatures have stayed in the mid 30's, today being a little cooler, about 32 in Perth. Daily, it is a constant effort to keep the vegetable patch going as most of the plants are wilting under the heat. Saying that, we are still getting a good supply of Lettuce and Radish, it seems as though quick growing veg fair better than the longer growing varieties like Onions, Beetroot etc. Also, I seem to be struggling with growing tomatoes as the leaves seem to shrivel up as the plants grow. Anyone know why?



More than - A day in the life of?


One day: A duck walks into a pub and orders a pint of beer and a ham sandwich.
The barman looks at him and says, "Hang on! You're a duck"
"I see your eyes are working," replies the duck.
"And you can talk!" exclaims the barman.
"I see your ears are working too," says the duck. "Now if you don't mind, can I have my beer and my sandwich please?"
"Certainly, sorry about that," says the barman as he pulls the duck a pint. "It's just we don't get many ducks in this pub. What are you doing around this way?"
"I'm working on the building site across the road," explains the duck. "I'm a plasterer."
The flabbergasted barman cannot believe the duck and wants to learn more, but takes the hint when the duck pulls out a newspaper from his bag and proceeds to read it.
So the duck reads his paper, drinks his beer, eats his sandwiches, bids the barman good day and leaves.

The same thing happens for two weeks.

Then one day a circus comes to town. The ringmaster comes into the pub for a pint and the barman says to him "You're with the circus aren't you? Well, I know this duck that could be just brilliant in your circus. He talks, drinks beer, eats sandwiches, reads the newspaper and everything!"
"Sound marvellous," says the ringmaster, handing over his business card. "Get him to give me a call."

So the next day when the duck comes into the pub the barman says, "Hey Mr Duck, I reckon I can line you up with a top job, paying really good money."
"I'm always looking for the next job," says the duck. "Where is it?"
"At the circus," says the barman.
"The circus?" repeats the duck.
"That's right," replies the barman.
"The circus?" the duck asks again. "With a big tent?"
"Yeah," the barman replies.
"With all the animals who live in cages, and performers who live in caravans?" says the duck.
"Of course," the barman replies.
"And the tent has canvas sides and a big canvas roof with a hole in the middle?" persists the duck.
"That's right!" says the barman.
The duck shakes his head in amazement, and says .....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"What the hell would they want with a plasterer ??!"


Speak to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment