Thursday 10 November 2011

Parents have Parents, and Grandparents!!

There is not much going on in the allotment now that Autumn / Winter is upon us so I thought it would be a good opportunity to pass on some information regarding the Nickisson Family Tree.

For the next few weeks I will be looking at the Direct Line from myself to the oldest Nickisson, John Nickisson born about 1690, my 5xGreat Grandfather.

* A little boy liked nothing better to do than to sit on his grandfather's knee and have stories read to him.  One day after a story about Noah's ark, and how Noah led pairs of animals to the safety of the ark. 
The little boy asked, 'Granddad, you are very old, were you in Noah's ark?' Gosh no', said Granddad.' In that case, how come you didn't drown when the flood came?'

Back to the Blog!

Now that I have added names to the Nickisson Family Tree, you will see from the Direct Line Chart below that information/proof is needed to identify some of the Births, Marriages, Deaths etc. For example, I have recently added John Nickisson who married a Catherine? This information was found from a Family Tree website on the Internet. So my next step is to research their names at the Stafford Record Office to determine; are they my family? If so, when and where were they born, married and when did they die?

Until the research starts, I thought it would be of interest to pass on information from the chart below that has been proven. This is found from Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates and Registration Documents, Parish Records, Military Service Records and even British Phone Books.

For this Blog I will look at my parents, Victor Nickisson 1919-1981 and Lilian Byatt 1923-2002. See the chart below.
 
* Having one child makes you a Parent; having two makes you a referee



My father, Victor Nickisson was born in Bridge Street, Mount Pleasant, Fenton, Stoke on Trent on the 13th September 1919 and was christened on the 19th October 1919 at the United Methodist Church, Mount Pleasant. He married my mother, Lilian Byatt at Christ Church, Fenton on the 14th September 1946 whilst living in North Street, Stoke. The witnesses were his brother Eric Nickisson and my mothers sister Winifred Byatt.
My twin brother and myself were born in 1947 and lived in North Street, Stoke, until we moved a few miles away to Blurton, finally moving to Cemlyn Avenue, Blurton where three more children, all girls, were born between 1948 and 1963. My mother and father lived in Cemlyn Avenue until my father died in 1981.

My father served in the second world war from 1939 to 1946 as an artillery gunner. He enlisted in Rhyl on the 15th December 1939 and joined the Royal Artillary Regiment  and saw action in North Africa, Sicily, Salerno, Palestine, Italy, Greece and Austria. He left the service on the 23rd of July 1946
He earned (top row ,left to right) the War medal 1939-45 (Single Oak Leaf clasp) - the Italy Star - the Defence Medal (Silver Laurel Leaves clasp. King's Commendation for Brave Conduct. Civil) (bottom row, left) the 1939-45 Star (Battle of Britain clasp)  - the African Star (showing the 1st Army bar).  When my father left the army he worked in the pottery industry, mainly in the production of sanitaryware.
My Mother, Lilian Byatt was born on the 16th September 1923 in York Street, Fenton, Stoke on Trent (renamed Dimmock Street in the 1950's) to parents Alfred Byatt (1881-1953) and Esther Riley (1888-1964). She worked in a sweet factory and as a tea packer until she married and became a housewife and mother to the five children. When my father died my mother eventually lived with my sister and finally moved to Fairbourne, Gwynedd, Wales, where she died in 2002.
In my next Blog, I will look at my fathers parents, my Grandparents, Ernest Nickisson (1885-1943) and Florence Ada Smallman (1884-1976).


* Parenting is the only job, that you don’t know if you did a good job, until it’s too late
* Two young boys were spending the night at their Grandparents. At bedtime, the two boys knelt beside their beds to say their prayers when the youngest one began praying at the top of his voice. "I PRAY FOR A NEW BICYCLE... I PRAY FOR A NEW PLAYSTATION... I PRAY FOR A COMPUTER..."
His older brother leant over and nudged his brother and said, "why are you shouting your prayers? God isn't deaf." To which his little brother replied, "no, but our Grandparents are!"
See you soon

1 comment: